This model represents the first type of the ubiquitious 251 Halftrack series built and is most easily distinguished from the Ausf. B version by the 3 visors on each side of the hull. Built from 1938, and along with the B & C's, 4650 were built, both the Ausf. A & B were in service from 1939 onwards and initially did not have a forward MG shield, although these were retrospectively fitted. Superceded by the Ausf. C from 1940, they remained in service for several years seeing action in Poland, France, Russia and North Africa. Although originally concieved as an Armoured Personnel Carrier these vehicles were used in many roles including Prime Mover for various ordnance.